Galveston ISD - A Schools of Choice District
What are Schools of Choice?
The Schools of Choice model allows families options of which school to attend within a school system. It is one of the most unique school systems in Texas in that it allows parents to send their children to the school that best serves their interests and needs. There are no school zones and transportation is provided to students to all campuses. Students are able to attend the school of their choice provided the District has available seats at the selected school.
Galveston ISD offers charter schools, Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) programs, magnet schools, and a Mega-Magnet High School with four smaller learning communities. Students are aided by open enrollment as well as the absence of school zones throughout the district.
For more information on applying to GISD Schools contact Nanette Dickerson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 409-766-5123.
(Please note: Once a new and approved transfer non-GISD student has applied to GISD per process below for the 2019-2020 school year, he/she will be notified by their assigned campus regarding next steps to take to enroll.)
The Application Process with Dr. Moulton
Dr. Moulton takes a deeper dive into Schools of Choice. In the video, Dr. Moulton will answer a few of the biggest questions we have received, as well as go over upcoming dates and events.
Important Dates for the 2019-2020 School Year
The Application Process will be accessible online and the link will be active on the dates listed below.
Open Application Period 1 - January 14 - February 15, 2019
The link will be made available on gisd.org on January 14th at 8:00 a.m.
and will close February 15th at 4:00 p.m.
- Current 4th graders requesting Austin Middle School
- 8th Graders applying for Ball High School
- The link will be active on gisd.org on January 14th at 8am
and will close February 15th at 4pm
- APPLY HERE
March 4, 2019
- Parent(s) receive school assignment by mail/email the week of March 4, 2019
Ball High School CTE/Community Fair - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. For more information, download the flyer HERE.
Austin Middle School Parent Information Night - Monday, January 28, 2019 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. For more information, download the flyer HERE.
GISD School Tours at All Campuses - Every Monday at 9:00 a.m. starting on Monday, January 28 - Monday, February 25, 2019. For more information, download the flyer HERE.
Open Application Period 2 - February 25 - March 25, 2019
The link will be made available on gisd.org on February 25 at 8:00 a.m.
and will close March 25 at 4:00 p.m.
- Elementary application for students going into Kindergarten 2019-2020 school year
- Current Elementary requesting to move to a different campus
- Current 4th Graders applying for Central Middle School or Collegiate Academy ONLY
- The link will be made available on February 25 at 8am and will close March 25 at 4pm.
- APPLY HERE
April 8, 2019
- Parent(s) receive school assignment by mail/email the week of April 8, 2019