In spring 2012, the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) replaced the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS).
The STAAR program includes annual assessments for:
- Reading and mathematics grades 3–8
- Writing at grades 4 and 7
- Science at grades 5 and 8
- Social studies at grade 8
- End-of-course assessments for English I, English II, Algebra I, Biology and U.S history
Total number of mandatory testing days
Students will typically spend two to five days out of the 180-day school year taking the STAAR tests. Additional testing days will be available for students who must pass the test to be promoted to the next grade or to graduate from high school.
- Testing Calendars
- STAAR Resources
- Assessment Resources for Students and Parents
- STAAR Released Test Questions
- Understanding Your Child's Confidential Student Report | Cómo entender el Informe Confidencial del Estudiante
- Explanation of Test Results
- Difference Between STAAR and TAKS