Middle School Realignment Information
At the November 17, 2021 Galveston Independent School District board of trustees meeting, trustees voted to realign the middle school experience for GISD students.
contiNuing in the 2023-24 school year:
- Fifth-grade students will attend the Weis campus at 7100 Stewart Road
- Sixth-grade students will attend the Austin campus at 1514 Avenue N 1/2
- Seventh and eighth-grade students will attend the Central Middle School campus at 3014 Sealy Avenue
This goal or the transformation is to improve student outcomes.. We value community input and realize that there will be questions along the way. This webpage will be updated with frequently asked questions and answers. If you would like to submit a question, please do so at MSquestions@gisd.org.
The middle school realignment will not impact Crenshaw or AIM
Dress codes, Advanced Academics and Transportation/Start Times for 2023-2024 TO BE UPDATED SOON.
transportation & Campus start times
galveston county daily news - galveston isd votes to consolidate middle schools by grade level
Parent Advanced Academic Requests
- 8th grade- Central 8th Grade Academic Level Request Form
- 7th grade- Central 7th Grade Academic Level Request Form
- 6th grade- Austin Advanced Class Interest Form
- 5th grade- (Weis Advanced Classes already full.)
Meet the Principals
Middle School Realignment Q&A
This webpage will be updated with frequently asked questions and answers. If you would like to submit a question, please do so at MSquestions@gisd.org.
- What will the start times be for the new campuses?
- Advanced Academic Guidelines (Updated 4/18/22)
- Does the middle school realignment include Crenshaw or AIM?
- If a student is 5th grade right now at Austin Middle School, is enrollment for 6th grade necessary? How will Austin students who are currently in advanced classes, be considered for advanced classes next school year? (Updated 2/28/22)
- Where do we take this application and by what date? When do we know which classes she will be in? Is this form all the information we get on the new school system? (Updated 2/8/22)
- What does “will be assigned by district criteria” mean in the 8th grade application? My child is an honor roll student. Where can I find information on making sure she is in the best classes & programs for her? (Updated 2/8/22)
- Will the elective chosen by next year's 6th graders affect what elective they can choose in subsequent years? Do the classes build on each other so that the kids can't choose a different area for the elective each year? (Updated 2/8/22)
- How does my child select courses for next year? When and where should I submit the forms after selecting the courses? Do I need to submit the hard copies to GISD? (Updated 2/8/22)
- Can we submit the course selection sheets to this email? Or does it need to go directly to the school? (Updated 2/8/22)
- When/where/how are class selections submitted? (Updated 2/7/22)
- When and where can we turn in our child's course selection sheet? (Updated 2/7/22)
- What is the district criteria that will determine the advanced placement? How many General electives do they get? (Updated 2/7/22)
- Do you know when middle school uniforms will be announced? Will each middle school have their own color? (Updated 1/31/22)
- Will the kids currently attending Austin be automatically enrolled in the honors classes? If not, how can I elect those for classes? (Updated 1/26/22)
- Will there be an orientation for students at the end of this school year? I just want to make sure we know what will be offered and the expectations for our child going into 8th grade next year. (Updated 1/26/22)
- Will there be bus transportation to and from schools and other activities?
- How will students qualify for Honors?
- How will STEM and BioMed be different at 7th and 8th grades?
- When was the realignment approved?
- When will the realignment be implemented?
- What kind of assistance will be available to help students and parents with the transition?
- Is School Choice still an option?
- When will principals be named for the three schools?
- What impact will realignment have on Special Programs (ELL, Special Education, Gifted and Talented, and Dual Language program)?
- Will the schools have all new teachers? How will they be selected?
- What advanced curricula will be offered?
- What athletics sports will be offered?
- What fine arts will be offered?
- What time will school start?
- Will the school have a PTO? How can I join?
- How do I get more information and answers to my questions about the realignment?