Building A Better GISD
In May of 2022 Galveston voters passed a substantial bond to help “Build A Better GISD.” The bond, designed to impact every student in the district, had five propositions, all of which were passed by the voters.
A: Replace Ball High and Aging Transportation
- Build a new Ball High School on the existing site In Early Stages.
- Purchase 13 new buses, white fleet vehicles and student management software.
B: Build a New Aquatics Center
- Attached to Ball High School.
C: Upgrades to Central, Weis and Austin Middle Schools IN PROGRESS
- Weis Middle School Will Become a 5th-6th grade campus.
- Central Middle School will become a 7th-8th grade campus.
- Austin Middle School will be used during the transition and will eventually be repurposed within Galveston ISD
- CLICK HERE for more on the Campus Consolidation Plan.
D: District Wide Technology Upgrades
- Upgrade district technology infrastructure including servers and switches, routers, and classroom instructional technology.
E: Replace Courville Stadium on existing site. NOW OPEN!
Construction Update Prepared by Jim Grant, GISD Operations Chief. October 24, 2023
Stadium The stadium project is almost complete. We are at the 95% and 5% which is punch list items and finishing touch.
Press box Now it is time to move on to the press box. We are in the process of finishing the design work so that when the season is over, we can start construction.
Austin Middle School
Dressing rooms converted to classrooms and work on the 2nd & 3rd to Create additional classrooms.
GISD has released the Notice to proceed to the contractor. Tucon the contractor has started mobilizing. Thet will start with demo and then construction.
The permitting and planning for Phase II in in process. (parking lot& Playground)
Weis Middle School
Classroom Conversions & Fencing
Has been completed. There a few punch list items still being completed.
Dressing rooms converted to classrooms and reworking classrooms.
GISD has released the Notice to proceed to the contractor. Jamail & Smith, the contractor has started mobilizing. Thet will start with demo and then construction.
Central Middle School
Roofing and restroom renvoation
Ball High School
Houses removed from property.