Effective substitute teachers take the responsibility to ensure that the educational process is not interrupted when the regular teacher/paraprofessional is absent, and provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the subject area as described in the lesson plans prepared by the classroom teacher.
Minimum: 21 years old
Application: Please apply online
We are in the process of setting up substitution application online. Continue to check the website for any updated information.
The Substitute Specialist reviews the submitted application and credentials to ensure applicants are qualified candidates for Galveston ISD.
Candidates must have a clear background check (based on TEA approved fingerprints) before moving into the next phase of the hiring process. *Please note, there may be a delay during this phase if the applicant does not have electronic fingerprints on file with DPS FACT Clearinghouse.
If selected, candidates will be sent new hire paperwork via email and an invitation to attend a substitute teacher orientation. Orientations are by invitation only. You will be required to attend a substitute teacher orientation prior to substitute teaching in GISD. The Human Resources Office will schedule candidate for unpaid, mandatory orientation. Orientations are scheduled based on our substitute needs for the district. *Human Capital Management and/or the Substitute Office can waive Substitute Orientation if the applicant is an experienced certified teacher or administrator requested by a Division to fill an immediate absence/vacancy.
The following documentation will be required at your scheduled orientation (please order any documents needed to have ready at orientation) :
- Complete New Hire Packet that will be sent via the email provided in the application. (please print single sided)
- Two forms of identification: Valid Drivers License and Original Social Security Card (must be signed)
- Official College Transcript with degree awarded or High School Diploma or GED (no copies)
- Voided check or direct deposit statement from your bank for direct deposit
Candidates are hired and begin accepting Substitute assignments via contact from the HR Department.
- State law requires that all substitute teachers have their fingerprints complete prior to entering a classroom. The cost of the fingerprinting is $52. This is a one-time fee and process that is valid for any school district in the state of Texas.
GISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer